Are you the friend who is always talking about big businesses’ latest PR campaigns and what you would do differently? Then you might be a Public Relations major in the making.
Public Relations (PR) is all about helping organizations and people create and maintain a positive public image. This goes deeper than simply smoothing things over when problems arise — it means establishing and implementing ethical foundations upon which these organizations can build a positive image. A career in PR blends people skills with an understanding and respect for public opinion and ethical leadership.
Our program is designed to help you develop all of these skills along with the hands-on technical abilities you need to have an extra edge in your future career.
- Learning abroad — As an MVNU Public Relations major, you will be given the opportunity to study in Turkey, Europe, and/or Central America. This means you will have the ability to develop both your local and international people skills, and see what PR looks like in other countries.
- Professional opportunities — You’ll have access to institutional connections with business leaders in the Columbus region and beyond. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in Enactus, an award-winning entrepreneurial campus organization that enables students to network and begin their professional journey long before graduation.
- Practical experience — Numerous communications-related campus organizations like WNZR radio and video, The Lakeholm Viewer, Enerazan yearbook, and more, all provide opportunities to gain the kind of relevant field experience that will allow you to move into your career with ease and confidence in your abilities.
- Career preparation — MVNU’s extensive career planning tools allow students to develop an online portfolio that has led to 100% graduate placement into Public Relations jobs since 2009.
As an MVNU Public Relations major, you’ll have all the tools and creative space you need to make great things — whether you’re recording radio spots in the WNZR studio, transcribing an interview for your article in the next issue of the Lakeholm Viewer, or participating in one of nearly 100 live video streams through WNZR.tv and MVNU.tv. You also may be editing on Adobe Creative Cloud or Final Cut Pro X on one of the 30 iMacs in the Mac lab. You will have everything you need to get creative and hone your craft.
Plus, as PR is a blend of Business and Communication, you will spend a good portion of time in the Jetter School of Business. This building boasts a large, round lecture hall in the center that serves as an ideal setting for large classes or visits from renowned speakers. It also features an up-to-date computer lab, which is used for computer-based courses, such as Spreadsheets. You will be able to learn the newest, most relevant aspects of programs like Excel while getting hands-on experience with them as you learn.
Public Relations majors have the opportunity to travel to, and participate in, the annual National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) International Christian Media Convention.
Students also have the option of pursuing the Music Business minor. This minor is offered by MVNU in conjunction with the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) Best Semester Program. Students pursuing the Music Business minor will spend a semester studying at the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
PR majors will also have the opportunity to travel through their participation in Enactus or IBI.
Enactus is an international non-profit organization that brings together student, academic and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need. Guided by academic advisors and business experts, the student leaders of Enactus create and implement community empowerment projects around the globe.
The Belize Clean Water Coalition focuses on purifying the unclean drinking water in the country of Belize in three villages. MVNU Enactus members travel to Belize to educate children and adults about the importance of clean drinking water by introducing the Berkey Water Filtration system that purifies a sustainable amount of water at one time.
International Business Institute
The International Business Institute is designed to give students an opportunity to experience the international dimension of the many fields of business. The program is 10 weeks long and includes periods of residence in key locations as well as coordinated visits and presentations in the major political and economic centers of Russia, The European Union, India, and China.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
A degree in Public Relations from MVNU opens the door to a virtually endless list of career opportunities. Every industry needs to maintain a positive public image in order to be successful. This means you will be able to pursue a position in just about any market. You could be a PR consultant to small businesses, magazines, politicians, celebrities, retail corporations, car manufacturers, and more!
MVNU PR grads have worked at:
- Rocky Brands, Inc.
- Kinship United (Chicago)
- JP Morgan Chase
- InnoSource Recruiting
- Guggisberg Cheese
- 104.9 The River (Columbus)
- Nazarene Global Missions
“I used to learn because I had to, but God has given me the desire to learn and to love doing it.”Katie (Scott) Sherman, '15